TOMORROW IS OUR Independence Day celebration in the USA. Many people will be taking the day off, and planning a summer holiday for the family.
Here’s the thing about our government: We always have plenty to complain and worry about. When they do stuff, we resist change. When they don’t do stuff, we complain that they’re gridlocked.
But let’s take a moment to realize what an asset our government is to our success in business:
- We’ve had the same form of government for 240 years now.
- We’ve never had a dictator.
- The government sets rules for operating a business, and they change slowly – which gives us the ability to plan.
- Our rate of taxation is less than many other countries.
- Our regulators actively work to control inflation and to keep our currency highly valued.
- Customers can count on a certain amount of product safety because of all the regulations.
- People can count on the rule of law to keep most offenders in line.
I could go on and on, but you get the idea.
“Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.” — Winston S. Churchill
Let’s take a moment to be grateful that our system actually works as well as it does. It’s far from perfect, and there’s plenty of annoyances.
But still, it ain’t that bad!